• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ashton

Ashton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:03 PM

I'm in the process of ordering a new tank for 2 Ranchu goldfish, probably about 70 litre. I've heard that some Plecos are able to live in unheated tanks Is this true? If so which would be suitable? I've got an L134 who's about the size I'd like, would he be OK in unheated water, or a Queen Arabesque?

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Hi There,

I wouldn't put your L134 or the Queen Arabesque in an unheated tank as they do like warmer tropical temperatures, but the common pleco, (usually Pterygoplichthys pardalis) that you can buy from most stores will do all right in an unheated tank in a centrally heated house.

You would need really good filtration as the detritus cased by the goldfish and the pleco will quickly pollute the tank. You will have to remember also that these pleco's can grow to about a foot long and by my calculations your tank looks like it may be about 2ft 6" long.
I would go for the biggest that you can afford at least 3ft x 15 x 15 as a minimum as your Ranchu's can grow quite big as well.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Kcat

Kcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:36 PM

http://www.kokosgold...showtopic=50587

You may want to read this before considering a plec in w/goldies, especially a common. It's a thread from another forum I belong to about people's experiences with gf and plecs--can be quite detrimental--read the whole thing for info. sad.gif

#4 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

A number of our local club members a few years ago kept Goldfish with Pleco's and as far as I can remember they didn't have any problems as they provided shelter for them with pipework etc., but the eating of the slime coat on Goldfish would definitely be detrimental to their health, so I suppose looking at the bigger picture you would be better leaving them out....better to be safe than sorry. If you decided to put bristle noses in the temperature would need to be in the middle to high 60s which would of course make the Goldfish grow that bit quicker......desicions, decisions smile.gif
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users