• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ashton

Ashton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

I've recently started a 2 foot South American Biotope with Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids and Ember and Flame Tetras. the Embers came from a small species tank, but seem to have settle well in the 2 ft tank.

I'm now trying to find some Corries that will live happily in 7.4 Ph and won't grow too big for the tank. I've got Corydoras melini who are enormous now and far too big for the new tank, also I have some Aspidoras pauciradiatus in a 35 litre but these seem too small to put in the 2ft.

I don't mind what Corries I have, but want them to be happy with the Ph, I had a run a while back when I lost Corydoras Metae, Panda, Duplicareus, and Corydoras julii & trilineatus before I realised it could be the Ph that wasn't what it should be, so I haven't really bothered with them since. But somehow, no community tank seems complete without Corries

I'd be grateful for any suggestions

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

I agree that your Aspidoras pauciradiatus would be too small for your tank and are better suited to a species tank. I would go with your normal bronze Cory's Corydoras aeneus, either the normal or the albino variety. I know it doesn't sound very exciting but you would have a better chance with the farm bred Cory's. I think your p.H. of 7.4 is on the border line for keeping Cory's but some of my tanks which I tested at the weekend are at 7.2 after introducing a different type substrate and they are doing fine. Some of my other tanks with silver sand are at a p.H. of 6 and they are thriving also so there is a wide p.h. parameter there. I don't know your tank maintenance routine but may be more regular water changes would help in the future.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 mummymonkey

mummymonkey

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Corys and any other small fish.

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

Perhaps try some of the smaller species such as habrosus. If your apistos are okay then corys should be too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users