• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 njackson

njackson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

have anybody got any info on wels catfish like grow rate ,how munch to feed it and cost , pond size for a Juvenile and adult ...

thanks

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hi There,

Will give wiccat (South American mod.) a mail as she hosts one in a pond and will be able to give you any info on them. Have moved this post to a new topic.
This article may interest you. http://www.scotcat.c.../article108.htm Also our very first factsheet here at http://www.scotcat.c...ets/glanis.html
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 njackson

njackson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:09 AM

thanks for that i have been doing a lot of researh, it very hard to find info about these guys in capivity. thanks again

#4 Wiccat

Wiccat

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Doradidae, Auchenipteridae, Hemibagrus spp. & coldwater spp.

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (njackson @ Apr 20 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for that i have been doing a lot of researh, it very hard to find info about these guys in capivity. thanks again

Hi, the only info I can give you is in relation to my own specimen - I'm not an expert on them in general. He is just under 36 inches long and has put on about 4 inches in length in the past year, but has increased considerably in girth. He didn't eat very much through the really cold weather - spent most of the winter in his drainpipe in the deepest part of the pond and I only fed him when
he was actively looking for food. Now the water has warmed up he is taking a defrosted trout of about 8 - 9 inches every other day. Food is grabbed and taken down into his drainpipe for digestion. When he next appears at the feeding area, he gets another offering. He also gets dead baby rats, sold as snake food from my local reptile shop. In high summer, when the water is even warmer, he will eat every day.
The pond is 20ft x 10ft x 5ft deep, about 3000 gallons. Due to the large amount of poo produced, there is a massive, four chamber filtration system fed by a very powerful pump, approx twice as powerful as is recommended for the gallonage.
A word of warning - although he takes food from my fingers, feeding has to be done carefully, as he does not differentiate between food and fingers, and given the chance he will happily bite the hand that feeds him - if its in the water and it moves, its fair game!
I wish you luck - please keep me informed of your progress,
Regards, Wiccat

We never actually "OWN" them, they are just in our safekeeping for a while !

#5 njackson

njackson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

thanks for all that info , could i ask a few more qestion , how many years have you have your wels and if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for yours and were did you get it from , i have found two for sale , one is 51cm for 125 and the other 56cm for 150 then 29 for delivery do you think that a bit expensive . One more qestion , have you got a licence becuase i have heared that they are very hard to get. thanks for all your help and i will keep a update .it will be a couple of months before i get the money and now i just need cheap idea for the pond and now i thinking how big should i go, and do they just eat meat or can you feed them fruit and vegs . thanks again.

#6 Wiccat

Wiccat

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Doradidae, Auchenipteridae, Hemibagrus spp. & coldwater spp.

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (njackson @ Apr 21 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for all that info , could i ask a few more qestion , how many years have you have your wels and if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for yours and were did you get it from , i have found two for sale , one is 51cm for 125 and the other 56cm for 150 then 29 for delivery do you think that a bit expensive . One more qestion , have you got a licence becuase i have heared that they are very hard to get. thanks for all your help and i will keep a update .it will be a couple of months before i get the money and now i just need cheap idea for the pond and now i thinking how big should i go, and do they just eat meat or can you feed them fruit and vegs . thanks again.

Hi, in answer to your questions -
  1. I have had my specimen for nearly three years.
  2. My specimen was a rescued fish and cost me nothing.
  3. It would have been destroyed if a home could not be found for it with a registered licence holder, which I am. I hold my licence because I am an ichthyologist and I use it for scientific purposes. I cannot stress enough how important and imperative it is for you to hold a licence BEFORE you get your fish. If you do not, the appropriate authorities have the right to enter your premises and remove, and possibly even destroy your fish, and believe me, they will certainly do it! You may also get a hefty fine! Retrospective applications are not always successful. You will have to justify why you want to keep one, and also you will have to prove, beyond doubt, that in case of a flood, your fish cannot escape into any water courses. I would definitely not advocate you going out of your way to get one - as I said, mine came to me by default.
  4. If you do go ahead, you must consider how big this fish can ultimately get - 7 or 8 feet is not uncommon, and the average garden pond will certainly not do. You also have to consider its long life span.
  5. Wels do not eat fruit or vegetables, they are very definitely piscivores/carnivores.
  6. I would respectfully suggest, having read your questions, that you need to do a great deal of homework very thoroughly before embarking on such a responsible and demanding undertaking.

Regards, Wiccat

We never actually "OWN" them, they are just in our safekeeping for a while !

#7 njackson

njackson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

thanks for your info ,i have done a lot of info on these guys i was thinking of building a 20ft x 7ft pond it won't be for life but it will hold for a few years. i will get a licence before i buy one , and there is no way that the catfish can escape because there is fence in my garden so that fine. i have a book were iam writing all the info , if you want i will share with you and i have found some cheap 700g gutted rainbow for sale on the internet for 4.36 so that good. thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users