ne day as I was visiting a local store,
out of the corner of my eye I spotted two little fish swimming
vigorously up and down one corner of the tank, so I decided
that a better examination was called for. When I peered
into the tank all I could see was two little Aspidoras.
I could not determine as to what their sex may be, as they
were on the smallish side but I took the chance that the
behaviour I had noticed earlier and continued to observe,
which was mainly that the smaller of the two was pursuing
the other larger one, was an indication that they may possibly
be of different sex. As there were only the two left, I
went ahead and purchased them both
Upon arriving home I placed them in a ‘hospital’
tank measuring 25cm x 17cm x 17cm., the water being mature
with a PH of neutral 7. The filter was a small air powered
sponge filter, the temperature of the water was kept at
24°C and the fish were fed twice daily. In the morning
they got a small amount of pre soaked flake food and in
the evening (about ½ an hour before lights out) a
feeding of newly hatched brine shrimp. I also did a 20%
water change every morning using water that was at room
The fish were quarantined for ten days and as they showed
no signs of disease were moved into a tank that contained
a couple of pairs of Skiffia Multipunctata livebearers.
The tank measured 50cm x 29cm x 19cm and had a sand substrate
and filtered by a air powered small corner box filter, the
air flow was on what I would describe as being neither too
slow or too fast. I fed them one day on newly hatched brine
shrimp and flake, and the next day on newly hatched brine
shrimp and grindall worm and so on. On average I did 15%
water changes probably six out of seven days. Into one corner
of the tank I placed a woolen breeding mop.
Over the next couple of months around a dozen eggs were
found on an average of every ten days, but these always
(no matter what I did) fungused up. This led me to believe
that maybe the fish were too young to be fertile, so I decreased
the amount of water changes I did to 5% daily and 30% on
the seventh day.
After a couple of months of this the fish had grown with
the ‘female’ measuring 30mm and the ‘male’
measuring 25mm and
so I decided to try again. This time I carried out 10% every
day, with on the seventh day doing a 30% water change. Every
time I carried out a water change the temperature of the
water dropped to 22°C. After eight days the fish spawned
and 23 eggs were collected from within the spawning mop
and that part of the glass that the mop was pressed up against.
These eggs were put into a small plastic container and an
air stone added, the next day a further 9 eggs was collected
from the same area and there were no signs that the Skiffia
had been eating, or trying to eat the eggs. The eggs took
around 30 hours to hatch. After a further day the fry no
longer carried their yolk sacs, and the fry were then added
to a small tank that was filtered using a small air operated
sponge filter, and had very similar water measurements as
to the tank they had been spawned in.
The water conditions at the time just prior to spawning
(these fish have only spawned during night time) were:-
Temp 22°C, PH 6.5,GH 3°, KH 3°, nitrates nil,
& nitrite nil.
The first food that was offered to the fry was green water,
taken from an outside source and on the days following were
fed a mixture of micro worm and soaked flake food, and on
the fifth day I started feeding them newly hatched brine
shrimp and microworms. With this type of feeding I always
do a daily water change of 20%.